Monday, May 30, 2011

The Adventure that is my new yard!

Every morning there is a surprise in my lovely new yard here in the PNW. Growing up in Florida I became accustomed to tropical plants and all their splendor, here it's been fun to discover an entirely new eco-system. There are still your common annoyances (dandelion all over and tufts of grass always seem to find a way into the flower beds), but there are also some crazy weeds I've never before encountered. During a recent weeding adventure under a big tree in the front yard I found a plant that pops it's seeds when touched. I eradicated most of what was present but the little brat of a plant made sure it would be an on going battle, next season I'll be sure to get them before they go to seed. 

Currently for edibles we've got several varieties of lettuce, some red onions, yukon and purple potatoes, and some violets that I hope to make into jellies. Something I heard about on the fantastic site yougrowgirl.com, where Gayla Trail inspires the gardening world. I'm hoping to get a few varieties of tomato into some raised boxes we dug out of a heap behind our back house. Re-purpose, re-purpose, re-purpose that's how we roll! 

I've also been pruning the many rose bushes randomly planted all around the property, we're all waiting to see what colors they'll be. I'm actually less excited about that than my mother who will have to live thru pictures as she is in NC. Another fun and exciting aspect of the yard that is a bundle of surprises is the pond, which just yesterday attracted what I believe to be a couple of frogs. They have a disturbing duet they like to croak out around midnight, I suppose like the traffic I will grow accustomed to their serenades. 

The sun is finally saying goodnight and I would like to use the last few moments of dusk to enjoy some tea on the porch so I will say goodbye. 

1 comment:

  1. Love Love Love the new garden pics on FB~~ Invited a few people to your Blog

    ReplyDelete